Josh Kalis needs no introduction. The thing is he’s not only the awesome skateboarder who put Philly’s Love Park on the map (and on his arm with a nice tattoo of the Love sculpture designed by Robert Indiana). He’s also a great entrepreneur and developed the most innovative hardware on the market today: Plus Reserve.
Plus Reserve Hardware features a custom head that works easily with both an allen key and a phillips screwdriver.
Josh nicely gave us some bolts last year when we were skating out at Jkwon in Los Angeles and we never stopped to use them ever since. High quality we can assure you.
Age: 39 Hometown: Grand Rapids, MI Number of years skating: 27 years How did you start: saw a kid skating in the 6th grade. Mowed lawns all summer to buy my first board and took it from there. Skate setup: DGK 7.8, Silver 8inch lows, gold 50mill, mob grip, plus reserve bolts, fkd bearings.
Josh Kalis, switch crook. Photo: Kirk Rocha
When did you launch Plus Reserve: About 1 year ago How did the idea & this original design come up: I couldn’t find an Allen key when I needed to change out boards. So I thought it’d be sick to create a bolt that gives you either option: allen/phillips. I brought the idea to my buddy in the car world who does CAD design. He did some measurements and BOOM. The idea became reality. Who’s on the team: I have been giving them to whoever wants them… And haven’t really locked down a actual team. Dane Vaughn, Mike Hoag, Morgan Smith, Dylan Sourbeer, a whole bunch of people are rocking them across the US.1 anecdote since the brand creation: My patent went through… So I won’t be nice to copy cats any longer.
Plus Reserve skate hardware
Last video you watched:Sabotage 4 AM who should be pro: hard to say… I don’t make those choices, you know. Favorite trick: 360 flip Favorite spot: currently Jkwon. All time, LOVE PARK.
This interview was originally featured in the printed KrakMag issue 6 that shipped with KrakBox in February 2016. Want to get your hands on a copy of the next printed KrakMag? Want to receive epic skateboarding product every two months? Check out the KrakBox now!
Une publication partagée par Krak (@skate_krak) le
Consider the following skateboarding’s roll of honor:
– Volcom ’14 Munted Daze’: surfing by Darrell Stanton; f/s 180 by Shane Azar; f/s 180 stalefish by Trent Fahey
– Almost ‘Round 3’: ollie north by Chris Haslam; flip indy by Ryan Sheckler
– Sour ‘Sergio’: ollie north south by Albert Nyberg
– ‘Homemade 3’: nosebump & canonball by Lenard Vranckx
– Foundation ‘Cataclysmic Abyss’: crail tailsmash by Gareth Stehr
– Zero ‘New Blood’: mute by John Rattray
– Osiris ‘Feed the Need’: indy footplant by John Rattray
– Transworld ‘Substance’: footplant & ollie b/s sexchange by Tristan Funkhouser
– Redbull clip: ollie f/s sexchange by Brad Cromer
– Toy Machine ‘Good & Evil’: late f/s shove-it by Diego Bucchieri; double flip by Billy Marks
– Lordz ‘They don’t give a fuck about us’: late b/s shove-it by Alexis Jauzion
– Converse ‘Thanks Jake’: no comply by Jake Johnson
– Quicksilver promo: ollie from flat into bump by Reese Forbes
– ‘Everywhere we go’: f/s 180 from flat by Luis Tolentino
– Landscape ‘Portraits’: b/s 180 by Joel Curtis
– Puzzle 11: flip by Thibaud Fradin
– Flip ‘Sorry’: heelflip by Bastien Salabanzi; f/s flip & f/s flip shifty by Tom Penny; b/s flip & 360 flip by Mark Appleyard; f/s 360 & f/s heelflip by Arto Saari
– Jart ‘All you need’: b/s double flip by Bastien Salabanzi
– Emerica ‘This is Skateboarding’: f/s shove-it by Tosh Townend; b/s flip shifty by Andrew Reynolds
– Sk8mafia/Sweet ‘Stee’: f/s flip shifty by Wes Kremer & Josef Scott Jatta; switch f/s flip by Gustav Tonnesen
– Adio ‘Rock Adio’: varial flip by Steve Nesser
– Flip ‘Extremely Sorry’: b/s 180 late shove-it & b/s 360 & nollie b/s bigspin by Mark Appleyard
– DVS ‘Skate More’: hardflip by Torey Pudwill
– Lakai ‘Fully Flared’: f/s bigspin by Mike Caroll
– Girl ‘Yeah Right!’: b/s bigspin by Eric Koston
– 4star ‘Super Champion Funzone’: crail grab & bigspin flip by Brian Anderson
– Element ‘Elementality’: nollie by Jake Rupp
– Habitat ‘Mosaic’: switch flip by Stefan Janoski
– Transworld ‘First Love’: switch heelflip by Stefan Janoski
– Alien Workshop ‘Mindfield’: switch b/s flip by Josh Kalis
– Converse ‘Welcome part’: switch f/s shove-it & switch varial heel by Bobby de Keyzer
– Digital ‘FYI’: switch 360 flip by Ryan Oughton
– ‘Life & Times’ part: lazer flip by Boo Johnson
– DC ‘Where EU at’: b/s flip 360 by Josef Scott Jatta
– DC Shoes Introducing: bodyvarial revert by Bobby de Keyzer
– Transworld ‘The Cinematographer Project’: nollie cab by Gustav Tonnesen
– Plan B ‘True’: full cab flip by Ryan Sheckler
Consider the following skateboarding’s roll of honor:
– On Video: manual by Joe Valdez; flip up by Ryan Johnson; tailslide & 5-0 by Jeremy Wray; 5-0 revert by Jamie Thomas; fifty to lipslide by Tim Brauch; frontside crook & switch 50-50 by Gershon Mosley; backside noseslide 270 out by Dave Mayhew; frontside bluntslide to fakie by Brian Anderson – Plan B ‘Questionable’: frontside noseslide to fakie by Rick Howard; frontside 180 nosegrind revert by Pat Duffy – Logic 1: 1 foot noseslide by Bob Burnquist – DTS video: crooked by Wade Speyer – Sheep Shoes ‘Life of Leisure’: line with nosegrind and smith revert by Brian Anderson – Plan B ‘Second Hand Smoke’: 50-50 both ways & backside 5-0 & switch noseslide & frontside 180 nosegrind & pop shove frontside 5-0 & fakie frontside nosegrind & switch frontside noseslide & backside tailslide by Jeremy Wray – Transworld ‘Anthology’: frontside 270 switch frontside boardslide by Jeremy Wray – Foundation ‘Rolling Thunder’: frontside salad by Heath Kirchart; 180 nosegrind shove-it both sides & backside 180 nosegrind & backside 180 nosegrind revert by Steve Olson – Toy Machine ‘Welcome to Hell’: nosegrind revert by Jamie Thomas; frontside bluntslide to regular by Brian Anderson – Osiris ‘The Storm’: tailslide shuvit by Chris Dobstaff; nollie backside tailslide & backside nosegrind revert by Jerry Hsu; heelflip noseslide by Chad Fernandez – Mad Circle ‘Let the Horns Blow’: halfcab noseslide & nollie tailslide by Scott Johnston – Plan B ‘Virtual Reality’: frontside noseslide & flip noseslide by Pat Duffy – World Industries ‘Trilogy’: backside suski & backside tailslide to regular & heelflip backside 50-50 by Marcus McBride; switch crook & switch nosegrind revert & switch tailslide & switch 5-0 by Lavar McBride; nollie frontside 180 switch backside 50-50 by Jason Dill; frontside halfcab noseslide to fakie by Clyde Singleton – Shorty’s ‘Fulfill the Dream’: switch noseslide & switch boardslide & switch 180 5-0 & switch backside 5-0 by Peter Smolik – 411: switch frontside smith by Gershon Mosley; frontside noseslide 270 out by Karl Watson; nollie nosegrind by Cairo Foster; nollie heelflip noseslide by Rodrigo Tx – Rodney vs Daewon Round 1: nollie frontside 180 switch crook by Lavar McBride – World Industries ’20 Shot Sequence’: nollie frontside tailslide by Jason Dill – Alien Workshop ‘Timecode’: frontside lipslide fakie & switch frontside lipslide & switch backside 180 backside 5-0 by Lennie Kirk; switch backside tailslide to fakie by Josh Kalis – Rodney vs Daewon Round 2: noseslide nollie flip out by Marc Johnson – Transworld ‘Uno’: nollie frontside 5-0 by Marc Johnson; nollie noseslide & switch tailslide by Eric Koston – Tilt Mode Army ‘Man Down’: nollie backside 5-0 180 out by Jerry Hsu – Maple ‘Black Cat’: backside lipslide shove by Jerry Hsu – Transworld ‘The Sixth Sense’: backside tailslide shuvit & backside smith revert by Brian Anderson; bluntslide by Brad Staba – Girl ‘Pretty Sweet’ bonus: hurricane by Brian Anderson – Lakai ‘Fully Flared’: frontside feeble by Mike Carroll – Chocolate ‘Las Nueve Vidas de Paco’: backside feeble by Mike Carroll – Bay Area Roughneck Tour 2006: nollie shuvit 50-50 & nollie shuvit nosegrind & bluntslide to fakie & gap nosebluntslide by unknowns – Chocolate Tour: backside noseblunt by Eric Koston – Girl ‘Mouse’: nollie crook by Eric Koston – Aesthetic ‘Ryde or Die Vol.1’: nollie frontside noseslide by Rob Welsh – Zero ‘Misled Youth’: bigspin frontside noseslide by Erik Ellington – Transworld ‘The Reason’: flip frontside noseslide by Gershon Mosley – Alien Workshop ‘Photosynthesis’: nollie flip backside noseslide by Danny Garcia – Foundation ‘Cataclysmic Abyss’: kickflip frontside 5-0 & kickflip frontside lipslide by Corey Duffel – Ojo De Pez 10: kickflip backside tailslide by Diego Bucchieri – Sus Monts: kickflip backside smith by Ben Stewart – City Crime In The City: switch frontside blunt & switch frontside 5-0 & switch frontside tailslide & kickflip backside 50-50 & switch frontside tailslide 270 by Eduardo Craig – Transworld ‘And Now’: nollie noseblunt by Matt Miller – Montage LDT: switch backside lipslide by Jack Curtin – Thanks Camera 2: switch heelflip backside 50-50 by Tommy Wisdom – Nike ‘Nothing but the Truth’: heelflip backside nosegrind by Wieger Van Wageningen – eS ‘eSpecial’: inward heelflip 5-0 by Marquise Henry – DVS ‘Dudes Dudes Dudes’: nollie heelflip crook by Torey Pudwill – Bonus Round: backside flip fakie nosegrind by Jose Rojo – Digital Imagine 2007: hardflip backside nosegrind by Andrew Pott – Youtube clip: switch frontside flip 5-0 by Daniel Rivera – gif: flip frontside nosegrind by Bryan Herman